Sunday, August 22, 2010

COMUNE Jeans

Another Product Spot!?

Well I felt compelled to write about another purchase I made yesterday.  In my search for a new pair of Headphones, and a look through some clearance racks I found two pairs of COMUNE jeans marked down from $68 to $9.99!  So finding my size I tried them on.  Winners!  On even closer inspection I found that every detail of these jeans was carefully attended to.  From the triple stitched seams, and the button choice, to the unique branding and labeling.  These are my first pair of raw denim jeans, meaning they were not washed in the production process after dyeing.  The idea being that they will soften and fade over time depending on the body and activity of the wearer giving a more natural fade.  I am not overly familiar with all of the fashion terms used to describe clothing in real detail so I digress.   What I do want to talk about is the labeling of the jeans.  Attached to the back pocket is a fabric tag that marks the size, company name and a short mission statement reading...

"FUNCTION
COMUNE was formed from the idea that there will always be people out there who not only embrace the rawness and imperfections of everyday life but use it to creatively push the boundaries of what's possible in skateboarding, fashion, art and music their own way, with complete disregard of the consequences.


PURPOSE
Our goal is to provide clothing that reflects this lifestyle of carefree idealism and to support the people that choose to live it."


Interesting!

Also attached to the string was a sealed packet that contained a set of six negatives that had images and measurements of the different cuts that the company offers.  Along with the negatives in the packet was a rubber "card" with the company name.  It seems to be the as the rubber waist band label on the jeans themselves, and it sticks to a mirror nicely.  Thankfully I have a lightbox that allowed me to check out the negatives a little more carefully and get some photos of them to share!




I rarely have the means to buy clothing of this craftsmanship, but I do see the appeal.  There is much equity in the thought and work that goes into clothing sometimes, and I believe that can be rewarding for the maker, and patron. 

No comments:

Post a Comment